Monday, January 4, 2010

Deluded

Deluded
a short story by Diana Weeks

When I announced I was getting married to a college drop out grocery clerk my mother wailed softly…”What about your education?”

“Don’t worry I comforted. I graduate from high school the last of May and we aren’t getting married until June 12th, a whole two weeks later.

“That’s not enough time to plan a wedding.” Mother sniffed and got a tissue from her pocket. “What about ordering your invitations and wedding dress?”

“I’m going to make my own wedding dress. That’s why I took sewing so I could make my own clothes”.

“Do you …” she put her hands over her face…”have to get married?’ she whispered parting two fingers to peek at me.

“No…”

“Thank heavens, and then you can wait until you finish college”.

“I’ve told you and told you… I don’t want to go to college. I’m in love and I want to get married.”

“But there’s no rush”.

“Not if we get married soon. I want to get married….so I won’t have to get married.”

“How can you say that?”

“To make you understand that I don’t want to wait much longer.”

“Your grandmother was right I shouldn’t have never become your friend…you just say anything to me”.

“We have a great relationship; I just want to be married”.

“Is Wayne going back to college?”

“Mother, he has a good job, he’s produce manager at the new Safeway. He likes the grocery business; he’ll have his own store in a few years”.

“I thought he was majoring in engineering?”
“He’s happier working in a grocery store because it’s not boring.”

“How much does he make?”

“Almost 90 dollars a week.” That brought on her boo hoos. “We can live on that, I learned to budget in general math.”

“The course you took instead of algebra!”

“And what good would algebra do me. You didn’t go to college.”

“That’s why I want you to.”

“Why don’t you go to college for me instead of making me go to college for you?”

“You’re not ever going to move to that little town he’s from are you?” She leaned back in Daddy’s recliner. He was at work or I’d never have brought up the subject.

“Why are you upset? I told you last year I loved him and thought I’d found a great husband. I thought that’s what you wanted me to do.”

“Yes, of course, but first go to college. You could join a sorority…” Sniff, sniff.
“Go to lots of parties.”

I was surprised…by mother’s tears. She never cries.

“You’re the one who likes parties not me.”

“You should have taken more dance lessons. You are always reading a book.”

“I’ve had plenty of boyfriends and now I’m in love and want to marry.”

“For life…like a prison sentence.. It’s not all hunky-dory.”

I was elated that I wasn’t like many girls in my graduating class of 1954…who had to go to college to catch a husband. Poor things. My work is done.


THE END
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED


No comments:

Post a Comment